Remediation projects often come with a hidden cost:
the environmental impact of the clean-up itself.
Cleaning up contamination and preparing impacted land for reuse requires substantial energy, water, and other natural resources. It also may involve excavation and disposal of polluted soil and groundwater, installation and operation of large pumps, treatment vessels, and other equipment, and possible discharge of carcinogens, greenhouse gases, and other harmful materials into the environment.
To address these challenges, a group of environmental professionals organized the Sustainable Remediation Forum (SURF).
SURF is engaged in several ongoing technical initiatives, including:
- Exploring the viability of a sustainable remediation site rating and professional certification system
- Working towards the integration of sustainable remediation and sustainable redevelopment
- Encouraging groundwater conservation and reuse
- Publication of a White Paper on international perspectives towards sustainable remediation
- Supporting sustainable remediation research
Benefits of Membership and Sponsorship
The practice of sustainable remediation is gathering world-wide momentum. By joining SURF, you establish partnerships and build relationships with a wide variety remediation stakeholders: industry and agency peers, customers, clients, academia, technology vendors, and the public. SURF facilitates discussions and sharing of "lessons learned" in environmental footprint reduction. You’ll have access to members who are helping to shape green and sustainable remediation guidance and assessment tools. The SURF website, meetings, and communications provide a clearinghouse and source for the latest information about policy, case studies, best practices, and educational opportunities.
Participation in SURF activities demonstrates:
- Environmental stewardship
- Employee involvement and accountability
- Stakeholder engagement
- Commitment to a leadership role in sustainable remediation practices
- Alignment of business and sustainability objectives
SURF recognizes the substantial value that academics bring to the remediation community through new ideas, technologies, and approaches. Therefore, SURF encourages interested faculty and students to join and actively participate in our discussions. SURF offers a number of benefits to our members from the academic community, including:
- Reduced membership rates
- Assistance in defining research topics and finding research funding
- Facilitation of cross-discipline linkages for research projects and student theses
- Additional opportunities for research publication
- Networking assistance for students during the job search
See the SURF membership application for more information and to join SURF today.
If you are interested in starting a Student Chapter at your school, guidance on the process is available here.
Sponsorship is a great way for an organization to demonstrate to its communities, clients, employees, or shareholders that it is committed to advancing the science and application of sustainable remediation. As an appreciation for sponsorship, your company or organization will receive complimentary memberships and meeting registrations, and will be recognized during SURF events and on the SURF website as a valued sponsor. Contact the SURF membership chair or click here to learn more about the various sponsorship levels and associated benefits.